A short residential course at Bushmills Education Centre has been booked for our Primary 5 children from Tuesday 6th May to Thursday 8th May. Outdoor activities related to our World Around Us studies are on offer and these would be under the supervision and leadership of the centre’s experienced and qualified staff assisted by members of our school staff.
The age and experience of the children will be taken into account when planning and carrying out activities. Their safety is of paramount importance to us. Proper equipment – helmets, waterproofs, boots, lifejackets, rucksacks are provided by the centre.
The following are examples of possible activities which have been experienced and enjoyed by Primary 5 pupils in past years. More exact details will be available in April and are dependent on weather conditions.
- Canoeing / rafting. This is on the River Bann using double canoes tied together to form a raft, taking 6-7 children at a time. Children feel extra safe in this early introduction to canoeing.
- Archery and the ‘High Ropes’ at the centre.
- Sailing to the Skerries
- Exploring the coastline from Portrush to Portballintrae by sea
- Searching for fossils on Whitepark Bay beach
- Forest Trail – Mountsandel forest and fort
Evening activities may include:
- Evening outings / walks
- Games in the gym – basketball, hockey, ball games, snooker, table tennis
- Outdoor games, football, rounders, orienteering
- Indoor board games
- Activities in the resource room and laboratory
- Relaxing by watching a DVD
All meals are provided by the centre. Children will have small chores to do on a rota basis – setting tables, brushing, tidying, making own beds etc.
We will endeavour to make this both and enjoyable and rewarding experience for your child and give each an opportunity to experience outdoor activities within the safe confines of group instruction and supervision. If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact the school.
The cost which has been stipulated by Bushmills Education Centre is £60 per child and for those receiving Free School Meals the cost is £45 per child. A deposit of £25 is required with each booking. The overall balance will be required before Friday 25th April 2014 and may be paid in instalments until then if this is convenient. Please complete the form sent home (or print and complete the one below) and return to school no later than Friday 7th March 2014 along with the deposit.
I wish my child ________________________________ (Name) to have a place at Bushmills Education Centre from 6th to 8th May 2014 and I enclose £25 deposit. (Cheques should be made payable to Dunseverick Primary School)
My child _____________________________ (Name) will not be attending the Bushmills Education Centre.
Signed: _____________________________________ (Parent / Guardian)